Earn the degree that can help you change lives
Designed by a team of national experts, our Master of Urban Education is an innovative program that focuses on the unique needs of students in urban communities.
We’re changing the way universities prepare educators by:
- Giving candidates more time in urban settings to develop 21st-century knowledge, skills and practice
- Using data to assess knowledge, skills and practice
- Embedding university faculty in urban schools to provide candidates with immediate feedback
- Teaching courses at both the school site and online
- Providing students with technological tools to improve instruction and to garner feedback
- Tying the curriculum to student outcome data and assessing the program and its students by their ability to increase student learning
- Providing education leaders with necessary education and business skills to turn around failing schools
- Teaching courses developed by proven school turn-around specialists in both education and business
- Using innovative approaches from both business and education
- Partnering with school and district leaders so candidates develop real-world school improvement plans to advance their schools
- Creating performance-based evaluations
As a Davenport student, you’ll be part of a cohort of prospective teachers and will develop key skills enabling you to build and sustain relationships with students, families and other educators. During your year-long residency, you’ll be improving critical teaching skills in a real classroom setting.
The need for urban educators is on the rise as the population in urban communities continues to grow. In fact, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 50% of the world’s population lives in urban areas, and by 2050, 70% of the world’s population will be living in towns and cities.*